The schematic used for the speedometer is rather simple. It includes a TWI/I2C setup and the connections shown graphically above. The connection between the Accelerometer and the A3BU’s J1 header is very straightforward. Ground connects to ground, vcc connects to vcc, sda to sda, scl to scl, and two 4.7K ohm resistors connecting VCC and sda/scl.
This code snippet shows how the speedometer takes inputs form the accelerometer and turns those inputs into a speed. For the purpose of this project, it was assumed that the object would only be traveling in the x and z planes (as in a toy car traveling down a ramp).
The goal of Double Dragon’s project was to create a simple speedometer that could be attached to a toy car, or some other object. It uses an accelerometer and some basic math to determine the average speed of an object over a small amount of time and displays this information to the A3BU. This device could easily be modified to also calculate the acceleration of the object.
Our final project is a Skittles Sorting Machine. The machine uses a RGB color sensor, a RGB LED, three servos, an Arduino, and the A3BU AVR microprocessor controller. This machine was constructed with K’Nex, cardboard, electrical tape, duct tape, scotch tape, super glue, a nike shoe box, modeling clay, and rubber bands. We also ordered some 3-D printed parts. Most of our electrical parts came from the lab group’s personal inventory, however a few parts were ordered through school using Quartzy. The Arduino IDE 1.6.8 was used to program the Arduino and Atmel Studio was used to program the A3BU. Eagle CAD was used to draw the electrical schematic.
First, we assembled the structure to hold the servos, Arduino, breadboard, A3BU, and tubes used to move the skittles through the automation process. Next, all the electrical parts were connected and the Arduino was programmed to control the servos and sensor. Finally, the process was tested and RGB values were obtained for various colors so we could program the sorting servo to swing into the correct position.
The project was successful because we used ideas and principles learned in class to construct an automated sorting machine. The machine was able to take in a bag of unsorted skittles, put them through the system, and come out the other end sorted into correct piles.