One of the most difficult parts of our projects was figuring out how to initialize our keypad and retrieve inputs to the A3BU. In the code below, we initialize the 4 ADC pins to receive inputs from the 4 buttons on the keypad. Then we have to set each of the inputs to -1 initially. The code stated that the light on the microcontroller, LED0, will turn on when button one is pushed via an if statement. We also added a string of code to display on the LCD screen to show what button was pressed. At first, the LCD screen seemed to act a bit intermittent, and after speaking with the professor, a 10k resistor was added. By adding the resistor, we were able to have button one work successfully. We started to implement button two. We had the issue of something not working properly. Both buttons were wired exactly the same and the code was also identical. After a bit of troubleshooting, the code was changed from “if (ioport_get_pin_level(COL1) > 0)” to “if (ioport_get_pin_level(COL1) == 1)”. By setting a more definite condition, we were able to clear that issue up. We were able to get button one and two to work successfully. We, then, added button three and four. They were tested and passed with no errors. When not pressed, the keypad button in question is set to 0: off. When pressed, it is set to 1: on.
Once we programmed our A3BU to receive inputs from the keypad, we had to create the desired output. To create our short jingles, we used pulse width modulation to vary the frequencies and duty cycles. The desired notes corresponded with a specific frequency, and we chose 85 as the optimum duty cycle to get the clearest tone. By adding in delays, we were able to control the length of the note and the length of the pauses between the notes.